Monday, August 1, 2011

Talent Show and Garden Tomb


We had a formal talent show Thursday night. Formal because our last one was just a crazy one. The night before I decided to sing “I have often walked” from My Fair Lady. It was a really good experience. I did well, and so did everybody else. Occasionally my mouth dropped open because I found out some of these people I’ve been spending so much time with had absolutely amazing talents and I had no Idea. We had this talent show in the auditorium or chapel where we have church, so we overlooked Jerusalem. At random times throughout the performance fireworks would go off in the neighborhoods surrounding the Jerusalem Center, more so now than usual because Ramadan is approaching. We had had 3 hours of New Testament that day, several hours going out exploring Jerusalem, and now I got to sit and watch my friends perform in an amazing theatre overlooking the city as night approached. It was a super amazing experience. Also, everyone really liked my singing (I did do really well for being so out of practice) and it was one of those experiences I’m going to try and cherish.

On Sabbath three of us walked down to the “Garden Tomb” as it is called. I’ve been there before only I didn’t go into the tomb last time because it was too crowded. This time there was hardly anyone there.  It’s a place familiar to Mormons. However, it was the site of a vineyard at the time of Christ, (as opposed to a garden which means an Olive tree orchard,) and it also there are several other reasons why it’s probably not the place where Christ lived, our professor sent us a big old document saying why, although I haven't read it yet. However, it was still a nice site to visit. Also, the skull where “Golgotha” is may not have looked like a skull in the time of Christ. (P.S. The Gospels don’t mention a hill anyway.) But I got to read the New Testament there so it was a nice Sabbath place to visit.
Earlier last week in the Lutheran Tower.

On the door in the Garden Tomb.

At the Garden Tomb.

Crusader King Sword behind me from last week.

No comments: